Image Map




Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Vocabulary Instruction

Vocabulary is a work in progress for me. I've heard some research stating that teaching vocabulary is isolation is just IRRELEVANT. That got me thinking... I already DO NOT teach vocabulary in isolation. That's a step in the right direction, right? I still feel like I'm not {quite} there... 

Step One: On my summer reading list is Word Nerds by Brenda Overturf
Have you guys read this one? I've heard great things and I'm hoping it will help me up my vocab game!

Guess what I'm working on?? setting up vocabulary notebooks for AUGUST. I know, I can't believe I'm this on top of it right now. We love using Frayer's 4 Square Model and it really helps the words become more concrete for my big kids! I've already made plans to finish these and Ladybug's Teacher Files Morphology Spelling Dictionaries next week. I figure if these are all taken care of, that's one less "not so fun" thing I need to prep in the Summer. Bye Felicia!
{Also, Astrobrights Cardstock makes my life. Such an ink saver!}

Step Three: Plan more hands-on, engaging vocabulary activities
I'm working on getting together some great strategies to share with my 4th graders next year. I am in the middle of a puzzle project right now, and I'm hoping Word Nerds really comes through with some Research-Proven Activities! If you have any suggestions, please comment below!

How do you make vocabulary stick for your students? I'm all ears!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!